Gratitude

I've been thinking about gratitude a lot lately.  I've always been grateful for the "big" things in life.  Ie.  the fact that I have a loving, amazing family, I have always had a roof over my head and food on my table.  However, it's only lately that I think I've really been able to feel true gratitude for the "little" things.  It might sound silly as people are always saying we shouldn't take anything for granted and it's the little things that count.  Those people are absolutely correct and it's not that I have actively been unappreciative but I feel that lately I have been able to recognise and vocalise my gratitude more.


One example was when I was in work a few weeks back.  I was gazing out of the window, as I often do when I should be focusing on work, and I was completely fascinated by how beautiful the clouds looked.  That's right, clouds.  The sky was a gorgeous blue and the clouds were brilliantly white and fluffy.  When I mentioned this to my colleague she remarked at how mindful I was being to have noticed this.  Mindfulness is a concept I have explored a few times but have never really felt like I got it, I get it now.  It's about being truly present in the moment and being able to pinpoint the beauty and the goodness in the people, places, objects around you.  It's about looking up to the sky and being grateful that there are clouds above you that look incredible.  It's about closing your eyes while on the tube and listening to people having an excited, happy conversation about their weekend and being grateful that people are living good lives.  It's about picking up a brand new book and feeling the untouched pages in your hand and being grateful that you are going to be delving into a new world and completely escaping your own, even if just for a short time.



In short, I am making a conscious effort to be more present in my life.  I want to be aware of the incredible things going on around me and I want to soak up every moment I can.  



I advise you to try it yourself, find a few things that may seem small or insignificant to someone else but that have given you a feeling of happiness and be grateful for them.  

Comments

Popular Posts