Summer in London

So it seems that summer has arrived in London.  The sun is shining, the shades are on, and the tube is insanely sweaty, sounds like summer to me!  Despite the fact that I am ghostly pale all year round, regardless of how long I spend in the sun, I still enjoy the feeling of warmth on my skin and in the early months of the year I find myself longing for the soothing heat of summer so the shift in weather has been a welcome one for me! I thought I’d compile a list of my favourite and least favourite things about summer in London, maybe you can relate:

Favourite

1.     The Southbank transforms into a hub of fantastic street performers, food stalls and the superb Underbelly festival.  This all makes it a great place to be in the summer.  In the past I have spent many hours lounging on the artificial grass with a rum and pineapple in hand catching some rays.  This year I am hoping to catch some of the comedy shows at the festival, particularly Comedy in the Dark.

2.     Exploring London’s parks is a great way to spend a summer’s day.  I would find it difficult to choose a favourite park as they all have their own distinctive features.  Sitting on the hill in Greenwich Park is a great way to relax with an amazing view! I also enjoy walking along Regent’s Canal and through Regent’s Park.  There are always weird and wonderful sculptures to see.  This year I am hoping to get to Hampstead Heath as I’ve heard lots of great things about it, perhaps I’ll pack a picnic!


Least Favourite

1.     There are no prizes for guessing that the London underground in the summer is my least favourite thing.  There are very few things worse than being underground on a packed train with no air conditioning.  Last year my daily commute involved me having to take the Central Line across London which resulted in me arriving to work every day drenched in sweat and feeling desperate for a shower! Thankfully I am now close enough to my office to walk to work so I can avoid it this year.

2.     Hayfever!!! I know this isn’t directly linked to London only but it truly is the bane of my life in summer.  I have tried every remedy going and still struggle every year with a horrendously itchy nose and eyes, which does put a downer on this great season.  My tactic this year is to try to source some locally produced honey as I have heard this can improve symptoms, please cross your fingers for me!


I am looking forward to a fun summer though and already have some exciting plans in place, here comes the sun, do do do do.


Comments

Popular Posts